According to the Center for Disease Control, there are 610,000 deaths related to heart disease in the United States every year. There are also about 735,000 Americans that have heart attacks each year. These sobering figures make the location in Brooklyn of one of the top 1% of all hospitals in the United States, Maimonides Medical Center an opportunity to prevent a cardiac disease from being a killer.
The Maimonides Heart & Vascular Center is ranked among the best hospitals in the entire United States for heart attack care and for patients suffering from heart disease. Doctors and hospitals learn more every day about care for people with cardiac illness, and for the urgent treatment of heart attacks. The challenge is for patients at risk of heart disease to engage in prevention and good cardiac health practices before they become ill.
In addition to being the top heart doctor in Brooklyn, Maimonides Heart & Vascular is in the top 1% of all hospitals in the United States for preventing early death from heart attacks and dealing with heart disease. In order to prevent a cardiac disease from affecting a patient’s life adversely, it is important to schedule regular visits for medical checkups. Physicians can investigate family history, diet, activity level, and other events and facts in your life to determine you do have or are likely to develop cardiac disease.
Some common tests in patients who may be susceptible to cardiac problems may need to undergo some common tests.
- Blood tests are sent to a lab and evaluated for abnormalities in cholesterol, sugar, and proteins that may indicate coronary disease.
- Stress tests are exercises a patient will undergo to give their heart a workout while the heart is being evaluated by medical staff. A heart monitor is placed on the patient and they are asked to do exercise while their heart rhythm, rate, blood pressure, and other factors are considered.
- X-Rays of the chest can often show signs of heart failure.
- Echocardiography is a painless test that uses sound waves so the medical staff can see pictures of your heart while it beats. The doctor is able to examine the size and shape of your heart and to look at your heart’s chambers and valves.
- Electrocardiogram or EKG is a test that evaluates how your heart beats. This test will also look at the strength of your hearts electrical signals as well as the timing of those signals. This is also a painless test.
If a patient with a history of heart concerns, feels chest discomfort, shortness of breath, or has other concerns about their heart, then a visit to Maimonides Heart & Vascular Center can help evaluate if a problem does exist and will help develop a plan if it does.
You will be in great hands with the top heart doctor in Brooklyn, Maimonides Heart & Vascular Center, one of the top cardiac treatment centers in the United States.